Monday, March 11, 2013

Todays Strangers are Tomorrows Family


So here I am about to go to Philadelphia.  I’m heading out to staging which is the very last step before I ship off to Namibia and the first time that I get to meet the people I’ll be serving with (face to face that is… time to see if any of us have been Catfished!).  It’s so nerve-racking that I’m about to leave my friends and family for a two-year stint in Africa but I am thankful that I have my group 37!  Even though we haven’t met yet we’re going to be in this together and have already been getting to know each other.

I remember the last time I felt like this was when I was living in Ireland for a summer and there were just four other girls from CSU coming with me.  We were a family in Ireland; we lived together, traveled together, did everything together.  It’s nice to have that family to rely on especially while you’re in another country not knowing anyone.  It’s a lot like fear bonding where suddenly you’re closer to your group members than anyone else.  I’ll be happy to have 3 months of training together before we all set off on our own paths.

As William Butler Yeats once wrote:
“There are no strangers here; only friends you have not met yet.”
Pictures are to come so no worries people!  I’m excited to show ya’ll my journey and interpretation of Namibia through my photos and writings.

P.S.  I got it all into two bags, a Backpack and a Purse!




No comments:

Post a Comment