Friday, March 15, 2013

The Journey to the Present


In the words of the ever-so-wise Anthony Bourdain:
“The journey is part of the experience-an expression of the seriousness of ones intent.  One doesn’t take a train to Mecca.”
What do you call a no-sleep, delayed flights, long layovers, and 17 hours of air travel?  PC moving day!!  But no matter the troubles life is always about the journey (thanks for reminding me Anthony), I’m glad to FINALLY be in Africa after all this time (Yes Ryan Jones I’m finally in Africa).  South African Airlines is seriously luxury for economy class: equipped with on-demand movies/TV/music/games, A travel pack (see below for photo) including socks/eye mask/toothpaste/toothbrush), loads of room (comparatively) and free drinks…unlimited free drinks.  The guy next row over drank about 12 little Brandy shooters.

Once we touched down in Namibia safely, got our bags (both my were there!) we boarded a bus to Okahandja where we are currently undergoing training.  It is here that we learn our languages (I find out on Monday) and our placements (fin out in April).  The drive into the town was beautiful and we had an indescribable sunset.  You may notice from my photos that it sure looks a lot like Colorado in some of the photos.  This is kind of nice because it’s like I took some of Colorado with me to Africa.

And while I sure am missing all of you at home I’m truly enjoying myself here and am excited to start this new chapter in the ever-evolving story of my life.

I have Internet access here in Okahandja so I’ll be able to keep ya’ll updated with the language, placement, and the day-to-day life of a trainee in PST (pre-service training)
  
 
 Our first sight of South Africa (top left)
A African Proverb that applies to our group (top right)
Look Familiar?  From the Airport to Windhoek Namibia looks a bit like CO (bottom left)
Already found a use or two for the duct tape we packed Momma! (Bottom right)


No comments:

Post a Comment