Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Khoekhoegowab

Hey Everyone!

So I'm officially living with my (AWESOME) host family and have gotten my language assignment! I'm learning Khoekhoegowab which is a native language that uses clicks.  It is challenging but also very interesting to learn.  I seem to be picking it up alright and my host family all speak it as their native tongue.  The language uses 4 different clicks that are translated into symbols before the word you use the click with.

The four clicks are:
/ which makes a tisk sound
// which makes a squirrel chirp kind of sound
! which is...i guess best described as... indescribable..
≠ which is like a sticky type sound like if you eat something sweet and your tongue sticks.

I'll post a video once I know more you ya'll can hear the different clicks (not saying they'll be perfect) but written good morning would be !gai //goas so the symbols indicate which clicks go where.

Host family is great.  I played futbol with the kids yesterday which was a lot of fun.  It's great that they all speak my language because I will have language lessons at training and language lessons at home which all started last night.  They made me feel right at home and told me that I was now a part of their family.  With my family being so far and my new PC family all living apart it is nice to have another new family.



My language group

No comments:

Post a Comment